Family Research Group - Toll Free (800)842-7479
Google Search Engine
Search:  www Family Research
Site Map  

Online Order
Military Report of Separation, DD Form 214

You are currently on an SSL (secure) server so that the information you submit is safe and secure. You can identify a secure server by the "https://" address heading rather than the unsecured "http://."

If you would prefer to send a request by U.S. Mail, please CLICK HERE.

Only a veteran or their next of kin (defined by law as a "surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother") may request a certified, complete copy of their Report of Separation (DD Form 214) using the form below.

Please complete ALL of the information requested and click Submit Request at the bottom of the form. Yo will then be taken to a secure payment page where you may pay online using PayPal. You may also pay by check or money order. In order to protect your privacy, the law requires your signature authorization and you must complete and sign the Authorization before we can act on your request.

You must have all of the information requested. If you do not have all of the information, please ask us for an estimate.

Your Name: (required)
Your Mailing Address: (required)
Your E-mail Address: (required)
Your Telephone Number: (required)
What is the purpose of this request?

Veteran Information

Full Name of Veteran (required)
Your Relationship to the Veteran
Veteran's Date of Birth (required)
Veteran's Place of Birth (required)
Service Number of the veteran: (required).
If unknown, enter "unknown," but this may delay service to obtain the record.
Was veteran an officer or enlisted? Please select one (required) Officer Enlisted
Veteran's Social Security Number (required)

Branch of Service (required)

Service Component (required)
Dates of Service (requires at least an approximate month and year of discharge)
IMPORTANT INFORMATION For ARMY personnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960 and AIR FORCE personnel discharged September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964 (with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)
80 percent of the Army Service Records and 75 percent of the Air Force Service Records for personnel serving during this time were destroyed by fire in 1973. The National Records Center will attempt to reconstruct the service records using alternative sources and can usually verify military service and provide a Certification of Military Service. This Certification can be used for any purpose for which the original discharge document was used, including the application for veterans benefits.

If you fall into this category, please include the following additional information, if known:
Date & Place of entry into service:
Date & Place of Discharge:
Last unit of assignment:
The following information is not required but may help the NPRC staff in understanding and fulfilling your request:
  1. The purpose or reason for your request, such as applying for veterans benefits, preparing to retire, or researching your personal military history.
  2. Any deadlines related to your request. We will do our best to meet any priorities. For example, you may be applying for a VA-guaranteed Home Loan and need to provide proof of military service by a specific date.
  3. Any other specific information, documents or records you require from your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) besides your Report of Separation (DD Form 214).
  4. Remarks: If there is an emergency or deadline associated with your request, please explain here so that the NPRC will fully understand the situation and they will do their best to meet your priority.

After you press Submit Request you will be directed to a page to download the limited Legal Representative Agreement. Federal Law requires us to act as a legal representative on your behalf in this request, and we cannot submit your request until we obtain your signed and dated release.

We have no control over the response time to your application. We guarantee to submit you application as soon as we receive your signed authorization. Response time for the National Personnel Records Centers averages 4-6 weeks. If the NPRC must reconstruct your records (for those involved in the 1973 fire, it may take considerably longer). We cannot guarantee a delivery date.

We try to acknowledge all inquiries by email within 48 hours. Please check to be sure you have entered the correct email address. We do not use cookies or other tracking programs and your personal information is not used for any other purpose and is covered by our privacy policy.

DNA Testing Lab

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional


Adobe Acrobat Reader
Some documents on our site are in PDF format. To open these, you will need Acrobat Reader™.
If you do not already have this program, it is available as a FREE download by clicking this link: Adobe Acrobat Reader
Questions or comments about this web site? Send mail to the Family Research Group Webmaster
Copyright © 2002 - 2007 Family Research Group
P.O. Box 140506 - Boise ID 83714-0506
(208) 853-7567 - (800) 842-7479
Last updated: 12 Jul 2010